Wednesday 25 April 2012

Good to be back

It's good to be back in our island home after a two week trip to the continent.

Playing on the beach...



Pockets full of seashells, hands (and bike) full of seaweed...


Enjoying April showers and the misty, foggy, salty sea air...


Waking up to the sound of our rooster (and listening to him sing all day long)...


Our kale, coming back to life in the greenhouse...


So thankful to be knitting again only one week after undergoing endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery... 


I am joining Ginny today, for the Yarn Along. I have been busy (before and since my surgery) knitting some wool diaper covers using this pattern. A fast and easy knit in Cascade 220.


I am currently reading a fascinating biography Sisters in the Wilderness. It is the story of the two sisters and writers Susanna Moodie and Catharine Parr Traill, their voyage from England to Canada and how these two very well educated, literary, middle-class, late-Victorian English gentlewomen managed with pioneer life in the backwoods.



I am also really loving and getting lots of new garden and kitchen inspiration from Homegrown Whole Grains. This book is as interesting as it's cover is beautiful (Nikki McClure illustration). It has inspired me to try growing some corn this year. Perhaps we will be more adventurous next year and try a small patch of oats or wheat...

2 comments:

  1. Those books both look terrific- I have the grains one on my wishlist, I'll have to read it now (and anything Nikki McClure is loved in this house!)Your kale looks beautiful- and my kids named our rooster Allday- because he crows all day! Glad to hear you are recovering well from your surgery- that diaper cover is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend the grains book Taisa and I love your rooster's name! Thank you for your comment.

      Delete